Saturday, September 14, 2002

Save Points

In console role-playing games, save points are scattered all over the game world, where you can record the current game state. This is done so that you don't have to restart when your party of adventurers gets wiped out in combat or even when you want to know what would happen if you choose the other path in the story. Save points make it possible to reload from a certain point in the game. They are quite handy. I wish we had one of those back in high school...

I look back on my high school years with the fondest of memories. Sure, everything seemed like a raging whirlwind sometimes, but it was fun, even the part where melodramatic teenage angst gets in the way. It was fun, but there were some things I wish I'd done differently. I was young and brash then. Heck, I consider myself young and brash still, but if I only knew back then half of what I know now, I'd have changed a thing or two. Especially that one night...

The events of that fateful night keep playing over and over again in my memories. I'd give anything to have a save point there, so I could reload my game, take the path not taken, and erase my regrets. It is spilt milk, I realize that, but a part of me yearns for a different kind closure. Maybe someday when we all meet again at some distant future crossroad, I will finally come to terms with the shadow of my past. Until then, I guess we'll just have to carry on, and hope...

She was the brightest star in my life back then, but I was too stupid and young to see. She was my brightest star back then, and she will always be...